Thursday, February 4, 2010

I finally got blocked from Wikipedia!

Well, it finally happened. I tried to put it off as long as possible, I really did. As a matter of fact, other Wikipedia users would leave warnings on my user talk page and I was re-editing their warnings to sound like compliments. For example, John wrote:

Thank you for your contribution, but we are trying to write an encyclopedia here, so please keep your edits factual and neutral. Our readers are looking for serious articles and will not find joke edits amusing. Remember that Wikipedia is a widely-used reference tool, so we have to take what we do here seriously. If you'd like to experiment with editing, use the sandbox to get started. Thank you.

Which I revised to say:

Hello and welcome to Wikipedia! We appreciate your edits to our online encyclopedia. You have an incredible knowledge base and we can all learn a lot from listening to you. In fact, we'd like to offer you administration privileges to edit articles willy nilly as you see fit. Many of our current administrators are assholes and we need someone like you to show them how Wikipedia should be run. After all, we don't want it turning into Prickipedia here. So keep up the good work and we look forward to seeing your future contributions.

Another user, tedder, wrote:

Please stop introducing jokes into articles, such as those you created at Road rage. Wikipedia is a serious encyclopedia, and contributions of this type are considered vandalism. Continuing to add jokes and other disruptive content into articles may lead to your being blocked from editing.

Which I revised to say:

I find your arguments compelling, well worded, and downright fantastical. Your every word spews joy from my heart like the froth from a Mentos dropped into a two-liter bottle of Coke. If I were more self-assured, I'd ask you to have my child. Alas, I will just settle for writing you mild compliments on your user talk page. Humbly yours, Mike.

But that only fooled those clever Wikipedia police for so long. On January 29th, Fastily wrote:

This is the only warning you will receive for your disruptive edits. If you vandalize Wikipedia again, you will be blocked from editing.

But I simply deleted that threat. Then on February 4th, Ridernyc threatened:

This is the only warning you will receive for your disruptive edits. If you vandalize Wikipedia again, as you did to Darth Vader, you will be blocked from editing.

Strange, that sounds oddly familiar (?). Then three minutes later, my good friend tedder wrote:

You have been blocked indefinitely from editing because your account is being used only for vandalism. If you believe this block is unjustified, you may contest this block by adding the text {{unblock|Your reason here}} below, but you should read our guide to appealing blocks first.

Party poopers...

Well, on to the next account I suppose.

3 comments:

  1. I love it..."on to the next account I suppose". You are unstoppable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please appeal the block, while editting under a different account.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CJ you are hilariously mischievous.

    ReplyDelete